Friday, April 16, 2010

A Word from the Playwright

Lans TraverseDRIFTWOOD, by playwright Lans Traverse, is making its world premiere now at Main Street Theater. Here are a few notes from Lans, who now lives in London with her husband, actor Ronald Pickup, and their family.

I began writing Driftwood in 2008. It is my third play, and like the two preceding it, it is loosely autobiographical. Or rather, the protagonist is based on someone in my family. In Driftwood, it is my grandfather that prompted the story.

Although I am an American, grew up in Oklahoma, I have lived almost all of my adult life in England, with the exception of a few months spent in Rome. Whilst living there I once met an Italian gentleman who travelled to London regularly on business and he told me how much he loved England. “You English people are so lucky”, he said, “your country is so new and exciting and Italy is so old”. I found that amusing, to love England for its modernity. Every day I look out on London and feel the centuries of kings and queens and age-old empires and am reminded constantly of just how new my America is. It is incredible to think that my own grandfather, age six, sat next to his father on an old buckboard and raced for one hundred and sixty acres of Oklahoma territory and that I grew up with this rich and wondrous piece of oral history handed to me on a plate.

If I were making a film, I would begin with the actual race. Alas, on stage, Orville can only tell and re-tell the story to his three children. But his passion for the land, and his relentless struggle to hold onto it, runs throughout the play. The story is just that, a fiction, for the most part. But the dust storms happened. And the soil erosion was a fact. And people survived the years of the Great Depression.

The present global financial crisis that is staring us all in the face began in 2007, and I wish that it had been my prophetic vision to see this coming and write my play as a cautionary tale. But I must admit to ignorance and cannot take credit for that. However, as greed (both personal and national) drives the plot and leads to tragedy ultimately, hopefully it might strike some as relevant at this particular moment in time. I have quoted novelist and poet Robert Penn Warren, in the frontispiece of the script: “The past is always a rebuke to the present”. History is, indeed, cyclical and here we come round again, eighty years on, to recessions and threats of depressions and man’s abuse of the land and we wonder: of what use is a rebuke if we are never able to learn from the past?

First and last though, this is a story about the family, about the foolishness of some, and the heartache caused by others, about acts of betrayal that are sometimes committed by our nearest and dearest, and about strength and loyalty and steadfastness.
--Lans Traverse

DRIFTWOOD plays at our Rice Village Location through April 24. Some performances are sold out, so don't delay when getting your tickets!

And that's the word on the street!

No comments: