Friday, February 4, 2011

The MST Q&A: Masquerade!

The Magician's NephewEarlier this season, we learned a bit about Richard Solis the actor. Now we learn a bit more about Richard the artist. His talents have been put to the test with our current show THE MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW. The picture to the left was the model on which Richard based his own plan.

Producing Director Vivienne St. John says, "Richard Solis, Theater for Youth props, mask and puppet designer, created the mask Aslan wears in The Magician’s Nephew. Below are some photos documenting his process in creating the mask. In the show several of the actors wear masks. It is Richard’s job to make sure that they not only represent the director’s vision for the characters but also that they fit comfortably for the actor so they don’t inhibit the actor’s performance. Creating masks is time-consuming and requires lots of patience and creativity. Great job, Richard!"

Take a look at the progress of Aslan's mask as Richard once again fills out the MST Q&A...

Full given name: Richard Solis

Hometown: San Antonio

The Magician's Nephew

Zodiac sign: Aries

What inspired you while preparing for this production? In this production I had to really multitask, Not only was I responsible for the props, I was also responsible to build the puppets and masks used in the production. The Masks were ultimately designed by Troy Scheid and I was the artisan who constructed them. Origami inspired the puppets. And Aslan was inspired by the costumer Macy Perrone and I brainstorming different ideas. In productions utilizing puppets and masks usually they are work shopped weeks before the show begins rehearsals sometimes longer. The Lion King for example work shopped the puppets for almost 5 years before the production began. In our case we just do not have the time so all these mask and puppets have to be done quickly. A good example is I built ASLAN in TWO DAYS. In this case not one idea or inspiration was used but many from different people and different sources. The hard part is deciphering all the ideas and inspirations given and putting them into one Idea and then interpreting them into a object that satisfies everyone involved. But that is one of the exciting challenges of theater.

The Magician's Nephew

First Houston show ever saw: The first show I saw at Main Street was the first show I worked on in the youth theater in 2002, It was SIDEWAY STORIES FROM THE WAYSIDE SCHOOL.

Current show you have been recommending to friends: MAGICIANS NEPHEW of course, But I am also in The 25th Annual Putnam Spelling Bee at Country Playhouse, I play Barfee. Come see my Magik Foot!

The Magician's Nephew

Favorite post-show meal: I really do not like to eat before a show, So I eat small snacks, Beef Jerky, Gummie candy etc.

Favorite show tune: I like almost all musicals.

The Magician's Nephew

Performer you would drop everything to go see: The Cure, Lady GaGa, Of course Im not paying 800.00 for two tickets!!! to her April show here in Houston.

MAC or PC? Either as long as it works, I have an old Sony Vaio right now.

The Magician's Nephew

Most played song on your iPod: Deadmau5 Afterhours

Last book you read: Barkers The books of Blood on my I-Phone

The Magician's Nephew

Must-see TV show: Kill it Cook it Eat it..If you havent seen this you really have too, Anything with Chef Ramsy!

Last good movie you saw: TRON in IMAX 3d

The Magician's Nephew

Pop culture guilty pleasure: INVICTA WATCHES, STAR WARS, TATTOOS

Favorite board game: I really get BORED when I play these games so I stay away from that.

Favorite cereal: All of them!

The Magician's Nephew

Special skills: I can litterally make anything out of Masking Tape! I know WEIRD!

Most “happy mistake” on a production: I really dont know I make so many mistakes that turn out to be somewhat happy?

Worst job you ever had: Lets See? HEB, Mail Boy, PLASTIC INJECTION FACTORY worker, Pharmacutical plant worker

The Magician's Nephew

Richard, thanks for the progress report! I would say you certainly passed the test with flying colors!

And that's the word on the street...

No comments: